Bangkok--26 Feb--eTurboNews
Last Sunday night, a crude, homemade bomb killed a French teenager and injured 24 others in the Khan El Khalili, a popular, ancient Cairo bazaar. The bomb weighed one pound, was made of gunpowder and detonated by a washing machine timer. It was similar to the ones that ripped off hotel complexes in the Red Sea resort area from 2004 to 2006. The attack last Sunday came only three years after relative "calm" in Egypt.
Experts said it was the work of a small, previously unknown extremist group or individuals, with no connection whatsoever to the militants who waged war against the Egyptian state in the 1990s. The Egyptian Ministry of Interior said a number of suspects are being interrogated for the death of the French girl and the injured - ten Germans and three Saudis.
Speaking to eTN, Egyptian Tourism Minister Zoheir al Garannah condemned the attack. He said, “This phenomenon has spread around the world. It’s not the end of the world. But my greatest and most immediate concern was the welfare and safe return of the tourists. I don’t care much about the effect to the industry as the well-being of our guests at the end of the day.”