Bangkok--4 Aug--Sports Authority of Thailand
Governor of Suphan Buri province Mr Somsak Pureesrisak held a press conference this afternoon to confirm that two Singaporean athletes attending the 1st Asian Martial Arts Games at Chaofah Maha Chakri Sirindhorn Building Suphan Buri Sports Centre had been admitted to Chao Praya Yomraj Hospital on Saturday 1st August with flu- like symptoms and were being tested for H1N1. The results will be known later today after the samples are rechecked in Bangkok.
Dr Nithi Prajongkran Deputy Director of Chao Praya Yomraj Hospital said that 17 year old Miss Nur Zulaikha was admitted last Saturday 1st August and the other Singaporean athlete 21 year old Mr Muhammed Shakis Binjunnda was admitted yesterday 2nd August Both athletes arrived from Singapore last Friday 31st July to compete in the Pencak Silat game.
Miss Nur Zulaikha who agreed to talk to the Main Press Center Spokesperson and said she was very upset at the possibility of missing the tournament but still hoped to play in tomorrow (Tuesday 4th August) competition. She also wanted to thank Thai people who had taken care of her.
Singaporean Manager / Coach of the Pencak Silat Mr Bzul Fadly Ben Din Mohammed Jafa said he was most impressed with representatives from the National Olympic Council of Thailand (NOC) as well as the President and organising team of Pencak Silat who took good care of the athletes and acted promptly. He said that even though his team took good care of themselves — “Flu just happens” he said.
There have been no cases of H1N1 reported thus far in Suphan Buri province reported Governor Mr Somsak who also stated that an education programme as well as advise on all precautions to be taken is available in the province for local people as well as the many visitors to the Asian Martial Arts Games . The only venue outside of Bangkok chosen for the Games is in Suphan Buri