TRIS Rating Upgrades Company Rating on “BSL” to “BBB+” from “BBB”, with “Stable” Outlook

Stocks News Friday September 25, 2020 16:12 —TRIS News Release

TRIS Rating upgrades the company rating on BSL Leasing Co., Ltd. (BSL) to “BBB+” from “BBB” with a “stable” rating outlook. The rating incorporates an enhancement from the stand-alone rating, following Bangkok Bank PCL’s (BBL) announcement on 17 September 2020 regarding the bank’s acquisition of additional stake in BSL from 35.9% to 90.0%. The remaining 10% is held by Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation (SMBC). The rating upgrade reflects a change of BSL’s status within BBL’s group to a subsidiary from an associated company previously. We believe that with BSL becoming part of BBL’s prudentially-regulated financial group, BBL is likely to exert control and monitor BSL more closely. We also expect BSL to receive additional support from BBL.

In terms of BSL’s financial performance, the company’s business has slowed down moderately given the economic fallout from the Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic. At the end of August 2020, the company’s total asset stood at THB7.7 billion (based on unaudited financials), a decrease from THB8.6 billion at the end of 2019. Its debt to equity ratio (D/E), nonetheless, declined to 2.18 times at the end of August 2020 from 2.9 times at the end of 2019. Despite the slowdown, the company’s performance remains in line with our expectation. Net profit for the first eight months of 2020 reached THB224 million compare to full-year net profit in 2019 of THB153 million.


The “stable” outlook is based on the expectation that the capital base will remain strong enough to cushion against any deterioration in asset quality, and BSL’s financial performance will be in line with TRIS Rating’s expectations.


The rating and/or outlook could be revised upward if the company’s stand-alone credit profile improves significantly. This includes strengthening of market position while financial performance and asset quality are maintained. The rating could also be upgraded if we view that there is a further upward change in BSL’s status within BBL’s group.

On the contrary, the rating and/or outlook could be revised downward if there is a significant deterioration in the company’s stand-alone profile, i.e. a deterioration of capital position or asset quality.


- Nonbank Financial Institution Methodology, 17 February 2020

- Group Rating Methodology, 10 July 2015

BSL Leasing Co., Ltd. (BSL)

Company Rating: BBB+

Rating Outlook: Stable

TRIS Rating Co., Ltd./
Contact:, Tel: 0-2098-3000/Silom Complex Building, 24th Floor, 191 Silom Road, Bangkok 10500, Thailand
? Copyright 2020, TRIS Rating Co., Ltd. All rights reserved. Any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying, republication, further transmission, dissemination, redistribution, or storing for subsequent use for any purpose, in whole or in part, in any form or manner or by any means whatsoever, by any person, of the credit rating reports or information is prohibited, without the prior written permission of TRIS Rating Co., Ltd. The credit rating is not a statement of fact or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold any debt instruments. It is an expression of opinion regarding credit risks for that instrument or particular company. The opinion expressed in the credit rating does not represent investment or other advice and should therefore not be construed as such. Any rating and information contained in any report written or published by TRIS Rating has been prepared without taking into account any recipient’s particular financial needs, circumstances, knowledge and objectives. Therefore, a recipient should assess the appropriateness of such information before making an investment decision based on this information. Information used for the rating has been obtained by TRIS Rating from the company and other sources believed to be reliable. Therefore, TRIS Rating does not guarantee the accuracy, adequacy, or completeness of any such information and will accept no liability for any loss or damage arising from any inaccuracy, inadequacy or incompleteness. Also, TRIS Rating is not responsible for any errors or omissions, the result obtained from, or any actions taken in reliance upon such information. All methodologies used can be found at

เว็บไซต์นี้มีการใช้งานคุกกี้ ศึกษารายละเอียดเพิ่มเติมได้ที่ นโยบายความเป็นส่วนตัว และ ข้อตกลงการใช้บริการ รับทราบ