AIS announced a significant milestone, reinforcing its leadership as the No. in 1 5G network and technology in the country and ready for Thais to officially use 5G service as the first and only service provider in Thailand on 2 March 2020. AIS opens the service to general customers to use real 5G on 5G smartphones and real SIM cards with real use packages on continuously increasing networks throughout the country, and not only testing with the test device and the test SIM on the test network, demonstrating the commitment and dedication of AIS in bringing 5G technology for Thais to use in practical. According to AIS, the first payment of 2600 MHz has been paid and has been licensed for the 2600 MHz spectrum to provide as the first and only official 5G service in the industry on 21 February 2020, therefore AIS is now able to start 5G service Commercial for Thais.
- Strengthen Thailand as the first country to provide 5G Mobile Commercial service in Southeast Asia, enhance Thailand's potential to be comparable to international standards through innovation and digital technology, increase Thais and industry with the most and the best of spectrum band and perfectly take Thais to the 5G era.
- The first operator to open 5G International Roaming, support customer traveling to overseas to use 5G by starting with Swisscom in Switzerland, Etisalat in United Arab Emirates, and soon with SK Telecom in South Korea.
- Preparing to provide the 5G experience to AIS customers who have a 5G mobile phone and even customers who are not buying the device from AIS to use the real 5G on the AIS 5G network with the 2600 MHz spectrum for the first time before anyone else by providing special privileges DATA for using 5G for free! Without extra service charge to allow customers to experience the full speed of the AIS 5G and move into the 5G era at the same time, consisting of:
Group 1: Customers who already have a 5G mobile phone
(even do not buy a device from AIS) are available to use 5G from
2 March 2020 onwards. The mobile phone that can use 5G immediately
is the Huawei Mate 30 Pro 5G that supports 2600 MHz and already
installed software updates from the manufacturer. While another 5G
mobile phone will have to wait for the software updates from the
manufacturers. These are the easy ways to get privileges as follows:
Press * 987 # and call; this is a USSD system to check the availability
of mobile and SIM cards, whether the hardware is supported or not, and if
the message replies Support, continue with step 2.Press * 212955 and call; this is an IVR system to receive the privilege
to activate the 5G service.
2.1 In case your device and SIM are ready to use 5G. You will
receive an SMS response within 1 hour to activate AIS 5G and get 5G
privileges without extra charges, free!
- Unlimited use of the free 5G service until 30 June 2020; this is for
customers using an unlimited full-speed internet package.
- Use 5G service 10 GB free for 30 days*; this is for customers using the
full speed internet package with a limited internet package and Fixed
10 GB can use for 5G / 4G / 3G which will be decreased before the main
2.2 In case your device and SIM are not ready for 5G usage, you
will get an SMS reply.
Customers with privileges, go to set up the mobile phone, we recommend
to turn off and turn on the device to use AIS 5G instantly.After that, customers can use AIS 5G, when being in an area with a 5G
network, the screen will display the AIS 5G signal.
Group 2: Customers who buy 5G mobile phone from AIS, able
to start using AIS 5G from 5 March 2020 onwards, with the
mobile phone models as follows:
- Huawei Mate 30 Pro 5G, on sale on 5 March 2020, and ready to use
- Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G on sale on 6 March 2020. (Waiting for
software updates from the manufacturer approximately mid-March)
- Oppo Find X2 and Oppo Find X2 Pro 5G, available for pre-order in
March 2020 (awaiting manufacturer updates)
- As for other smartphones, which is coming out for sale will depend on
the software update list on the device from the mobile phone
However, customers who buy a 5G mobile phone from AIS will receive
free 5G privileges, without extra charges, consisting of:AIS Hot Deal, a special price mobile phone promotion, which
customers can apply for the package as specified:
- Unlimited free 5G service until 30 June 2020, when applying for the
Hot Deal MAXX package, a monthly service charge of higher than
1,149 baht or more.
- Use 5G for 10 GB per month for free* until 30 June 2020, when
applying for the Hot Deal MAXX package, a monthly service charge of
lower than of 1,149 baht.AIS Best Buy, a special price mobile phone promotion with no
contract, when using or applying for the package as specified:
- Unlimited use of the free 5G service until 30 June 2020, for
customers using unlimited full-speed internet packages.
- Use 5G service 10GB per month for free * until 30 June 2020, for
customers using the full-speed internet package with a limited
amount and fixed speed.An unconditional device at regular price
- Unlimited use of the free 5G service until 30 June 2020, for customers using unlimited full-speed internet packages.
- Use 5G 10 GB service for free for 30 days*, for customers who use
full-speed internet packages with a limited amount and fixed speed.
10 GB can use for 5G / 4G / 3G which will be decreased before the main
Mr. Pratthana Leelapanang, AIS's Chief Consumer Business
Officer, said, "After receiving the 2600 MHz spectrum license, and
officially launching the 5G service on February 21, 2020. We have
accelerated the network expansion and development of all services as
quickly as possible, as well as cooperating with all the world's top
smartphone manufacturers to provide the best 5G experience for Thais to
connect to the online world with speed, strength, and better than anyone.
And today (2 March 2020), we are ready for Thais to feel the experience of
using AIS 5G before anyone else by providing special privileges to AIS
customers who have a 5G mobile phone, even if purchased from AIS or not
will be able to use AIS 5G for 10 GB for free! And use AIS 5G for unlimited
for free! (as unlimited monthly packages), without extra charges on the best
AIS 5G network. Accordingly, Thai consumers can feel the capacity of the
technology that will transform the way of life.
The purpose of using 5G to support and transform multiple industrial
sectors in order to deliver 5G benefits that are more concrete and clearer
have recognized from the previous joint tests, such as bringing 5G to
practical use in the logistics industry, container cranes control in commercial port operations at Hutchison Ports Thailand, Laem Chabang
Port, Chonburi Province in EEC area, partner with SCG to bring 5G to
jointly develop a prototype of forklift for real apply in factories, etc.
Furthermore, we believe that 5G will be used in various industrial sectors
and circles soon in general.
However, 5G is regarded as a new technology for the country and
Thais; therefore, it is the duty of the operator like us to provide knowledge
and understanding of the usage of 5G to consumers in terms of informed
and follow up with the technology along together by beginning with the
fundamentals of 5G usage, this requirement includes:
Mobile phones must support 5G on the spectrum of 2600 MHz.Mobile phones must install software updates from the mobile phone
manufacturers of that brand, which the manufacturers are continuously
updating the software.The SIM card must support 5G and must have 5G supported by the
operator.The package must support 5G usage.Using it in areas with a 5G network.
"Today, AIS confirms with the readiness of the company, including
the capability of the personnel with the knowledge, ability, experience, and
determination, as well as working with partners in every industry closely.
AIS will definitely provide the best quality of 5G service." Mr. Pratthana
Mr. Wasit Wattanasap, Head of Nationwide Operations and
Support Department, AIS, said, "Since AIS took a 2600 MHz spectrum
license, on the same day, we announced the 5G network nationwide
instantly and immediately to expand the network to the most
comprehensive to serve customers and Thais. Besides, AIS adheres to
network quality as the No. 1 priority, which allows AIS 5G networks to
deliver speeds up to the level of gigabit, providing customers to feel the new experience from using the 5G network with speed, strength, and better
response. Today, we have expanded the 5G network to cover areas and
significant districts in Bangkok and 5 major cities in the provincial areas,
including both Indoor and Outdoor. In the first phase, The 5G network has
been placed, consisting of:
- Bangkok downtown such as Chatuchak, Ari, Victory Monument,
Phaya Thai, Siam, Sam Yan, Silom, Sathorn, Chidlom, Nana, Asoke,
- Leading shopping centers such as Siam Paragon, Siam Center,
Siam Discovery, Central World
- 15 AIS Shop branches such as Siam Paragon (Future World),
Emporium (AIS DC), Icon Siam, Central World, Central Bangna,
Central Pinklao, Central Rama 9, Central East Ville, Central
Rattanathibet, The Mall Bangkapi, The Mall Ngamwongwan, Mega
Bangna, AIS tower 2 building, SC Tower (Innovation zone),
Suvarnabhumi Airport (not including the 2nd floor)
- In the region : the North region at the Thapae Gate in Chiang Mai
province, the South region at the Monument of Thao Thep Krasattri
and Thao Si Sunthon in Phuket province, the Northeast region at Lan
Yamo in Nakhon Ratchasima province, the Eastern region at Bali Hai
Peninsula, Pattaya in Chonburi province, and the Central region at
Phra Pathommachedi in Nakhon Pathom province
In the next phase, the 5G network will expand to central Bangkok,
including leading shopping centers in Bangkok such as Icom Siam, Emquartier, Siam Square One, Central Ladprao, Central Pinklao, Central Rama 9, Sam Yan Mit Town, The Mall Bangkapi, etc. And shopping centers in 5 major cities in the provincial areas, such as Central Festival Chiang Mai, Central Plaza Salaya Nakhon Pathom, Central Festival Phuket, The Mall Korat, and Robinson Amata, Chonburi, etc." Mr. Wasit said.